Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Earth Hour

When it comes to activism, I am usually a skeptic. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that if it wasn't for Earth First! and Green Peace, the Nestle boycott and a series of other organized, passionate groups we wouldn't be where we are today. I became a member of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) when I was about 5 or 6, I sold T-shirts and stuffed animals to raise conservation funds. It was a total life changer and probably part of my decision to study the environment (which I have known since I was about that old). I appreciate past activism, and sometimes even the activism needed today (I still support WWF, for example). But I tend to shy away from it, because oftentimes it is so divisive. When we started the Smart Living Project, I personally believed very strongly that one of our cornerstones should be non-activism (the other two being positive environmentalism and providing the resources for easy change). But there are definitely some issues and campaigns that are easy to get behind. Take Earth Hour as an example. When someone claims that the fundamentals of climate change are still controversial and up for debate ("is it happening"), I can't help but chuckle a little. There is always room for healthy discussion in my book, but to say that this is not some kind of oil-corporation lobbying trick is pretty ridiculous. Earth Hour is a global event to turn out lights for one hour and make a statement of concern about climate change and commitment to finding solutions. It's pretty simple, and aligns well with the cornerstones of the Smart Living Project through one simple mantra: together we can make a difference. When millions turn out their lights on March 28, I think you'll wish that you did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment